As we stampede toward the zenith of the holiday season, we thought it appropriate to ask La Crema Chef Tracey Shepos to come up with a recipe to celebrate the season. This crowd-pleasing, succulent roast lamb will feed 8-10 guests. An earthy Cranberry and Dried Cherry Relish accompanies the lamb making it a spectacular match with our Pinot Noir.
Herb Crusted Leg of Lamb with Cranberry-Cherry Relish
Recipe by the La Crema Culinary Team
- 8-9 pound leg of lamb- boneless and netted (ask your butcher!)
- 3/4 cup Olive oil
- 6 cloves garlic
- 1/2 bunch thyme
- 1/2 bunch rosemary
- 1/2 bunch oregano
- 1/2 bunch parsley
- 1 tablespoon cracked black pepper
- Pick all herbs off their stems and place in a food processor with remaining ingredients. Pulse until herbs are smooth and you have created a paste.
- Rub the marinade all over the lamb leg, wrap in plastic and refrigerate overnight.
- The next day, Preheat oven to 400.
- Remove the lamb from the refrigerator and allow to sit a room temperature for 1 hour.
- Season the lamb generously with kosher salt. Cook at 400 for 1 hour- rotating the pan after 30 minutes.
- Reduce oven temperature to 350 and continue cooking until the center of the lamb reaches a temperature of 130. This should take another hour but check after 30 minutes.
- Allow the lamb to rest 10 minutes before slicing and serving.
Cranberry & Dried Cherry Relish
- 8 ounces fresh cranberries
- 1/2 cup dried cherries
- 2 tablespoons minced shallot
- 1/2 orange zested and juiced
- 3 tablespoons pomegranate molasses
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup fresh mint chopped
Place cranberries in a food processor and pulse until chopped but still chunky. Toss cranberries with remaining ingredients , except for mint. Allow to sit overnight. Stir in mint when ready to serve.